This is an invitation for our Pender community (and all communities) to come together and help create a brighter future… where we’re more sustainable, as well as locally resilient. And we’re more connected with each other, the land, and the rest of nature… living healthier, and with greater happiness and spirit!
Pender Community Transition (PCT) is a non-profit cooperative alliance, helping the North and South Pender Islands (in British Columbia, Canada) to reduce oil dependency, carbon emissions, and other damage to our Earth, and to transition with resilience through climate change, shrinking availability of cheap and clean energy, global financial instability, and other resource challenges.
Key issues: PCT does workshops and projects on key issues for community sustainability and resilience: energy, local food, economic relocalization, and community spirit & arts (see highlights below). We spent the first half of our 4th year (2013-14) helping to launch a relocalization project – the EVERGREEN PLACE non-profit Elder housing initiative.
New Folk School: Of all PCT’s community-serving projects to date (see Past Events), our educational workshops have had the most powerful interest and impact. Therefore, as of December, 2013, PCT is proposing to shift to a total educational focus, by creating a new Heartwood Folk School for Community Sustainability & Resilience (proposed name). If it interests you, PLEASE SEE HERE and come to our next meeting to talk about how PCT can evolve into a Folk School. You can also become a volunteer, donor or partner!
This PCT site: is about key issues for community transition. You can see below for workshops or references on each issue, and to the right for post categories (e.g. news). There are also basic menu items above right. We invite you to dive in, and email us with questions or feedback. Let’s cooperate and educate ourselves for a brighter future!
- RENEWABLE ENERGY WORKSHOP upcoming in March, 2014 (new solar water heating rebates & do-it-yourself possibilities)
- 2nd PENDER ENERGY DAY on November 17, 2012 (see poster re: presenters)
- SOLAR WATER HEATING public education & Energy Group meetings
- 1st PENDER ENERGY DAY on November 12, 2011 (see poster)
- PENDER ENERGY RESEARCH REPORT released April, 2011, about Pender options
- ENERGY REFERENCES, TIPS & SKILLS re: energy conservation & energy transition
2. Local Food
- FRUIT TREE WORKSHOP on June 1, 2013
- POULTRY RAISING WORKSHOP on January 19, 2013
- SEED SAVING & SEED BANK WORKSHOP on September 29, 2012
- SCHOOL NUT TREE EDUCATION & PLANTING PROJECT January/February, 2012
- “LET’S GROW MORE FOOD ON PENDER!” EDUCATIONAL EVENT on March 5, 2011
- FOOD REFERENCES, TIPS & SKILLS: to grow, gather, and preserve food
3. Economic Relocalization
- PENDER EVERGREEN PLACE non-profit Elder housing initiative (June - Nov, 2013);
- INNOVATION & SOCIAL ENTERPRISE WORKSHOP on February 9, 2013 (see also Social Enterprises and Co-operative Associations)
- DO-IT-YOURSELF REFERENCES, TIPS & SKILLS: to make, repair or do useful things (see also 1. Energy & 2. Local Food)
- GET WHAT WE NEED, ON PENDER! education & action campaign
4. Community Spirit & Arts
- “NETTLEFEST” WORKSHOP & COMMUNITY CELEBRATION on March 9, 2013
- PENDER YOUTH & ELDER FILM (2012 DVD, sharing wisdom for a brighter future!)
- Supporting the PENDER HELPING SYSTEM (PHS) and Pender Community Groups
- Supporting Pender Artists & Musicians with our CREATIVE CORNER
- SPIRIT CIRCLES and COMMUNITY MUSIC JAMS & SHOWS
To find out more and get involved, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. For now, you can have an inspiring peek at a group of PCT supporters and other Gulf Islanders (below) who met on August 8, 2012 to talk about creating a brighter future for all our island communities!